Friday, September 13, 2013

Two steps forward one step back

Hi All,
Well last night and today did not go exactly how everybody had mapped out for Norah. As the Doc put it "The plan was to get fluid off Norah and take out the breathing tube but somebody forgot to tell Norah that." Last night she developed what is called flash pulmonary edema most likely from the blood transfusion she received. Basically she developed a large amount of fluid in her lungs very quickly. She had slowly been accumulating more and more fluid through out the day yesterday as well. The docs had to hand bag her for a while and then start her on a Lasix drip and evacuate any attempt at trying to wean her off the ventilator. She turned it around after that but I took it kind of hard because she is a week old today and I was really really REALLY looking forward to holding her. They did switch her drip to a different medication and she seems to be responding better to that and peeing out a lot of the fluid. So the new goal is hopefully taking the breathing tube out on Sunday. I made sure Norah was aware of this plan now ;)

On the other hand we were able to take out the chest tubes, pacer wires and arterial umbilical line. We were also able to start giving her some of my breast milk through a feeding tube in her nose. That was nice to see and it makes it easier to get hooked up to the mother sucker ( aka breast pump) ever 2-3 hours. I have a love hate relationship with that thing. We also started Norah on some new sedating medication as she built up a tolerance to the Fentanyl. She seems to be resting more comfortable now.

Luke and I ran home today to spend some time with the girls. A nurse reminded me that Norah will not remember this but my other children will. I thought she had a good point so Luke dragged me out of here for a couple hours. I hate leaving the hospital with out Norah and I hate not seeing Lilly and Claire. So dang it if you do and dang it if you don't.

I was able to get a hat on Norah today for a short time. I opted for the bunny hat featured on the blog. It was the first hat given to me by my mom.



2 comments:

  1. one day at a time Amanda. you, Luke and the girls are in my thoughts. keep strong, sounds like things are heading in the right direction slowly but surely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear family, God grant you mercy, peace, and strength. This brought tears to my eyes, because I can't imagine going through this and because I'm amazed at your strength and wisdom. And even humor through it all! Love you guys so much! I know ... I hardly really "know" you, but we're family, and that's that! Gentle hugs and strong prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete